Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Ich, I'm so tired of idiotic people who can't take criticism. Grow a pair, for goodness' sake.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
I suppose I have changed, although when, I can't really say.
Sometimes I think it'd be kinda cool to be able to objectively compare former and current versions of yourself. I wonder what I'd think.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
I got into Cornell!!!!! Yay!
But now for the hard part.... I have to decide by Tues whether or not I'm going to accept. I already accepted at Davis, but they don't require a deposit....
1. My favorite campus
2. Loved the case-based learning style-- basically, a few lectures, but mostly a whole bunch of cases that you go over with 5-6 peers and a faculty member and learn that way (Davis is traditional lecture based)
3. Really liked the people I met there
4. Close interactions with faculty members-- they all know who you are, because of aforementioned teaching style
5. I really like the fact that students can work as technicians in the teaching hospital for the first two years before clinical rotations. Based on my own personal experience, it takes a while to get used to doing everyday things you'd have to do in a hospital (like drawing blood, placing catheters, animal restraint, etc.), and to learn the high end state of the art technician duties (MRIs, placing jug caths and ventilators, etc.) at a hospital equipped with EVERYthing would be fantastic. Additionally, I can definitely tell the difference between the doctors who have worked as technicians before they went to vet school and those who haven't-- those who have are that much better at handling animals, and are generally a lot more confident in the technical aspect of their work. Davis will not let you work as a tech in their teaching hospital.
6. GREAT place for my specific interests-- they probably have one of the best avian programs in the country
7. And of course, great school with a great reputation (which isn't even really a factor, since Davis is also a great school with a great rep)
1. I wouldn't live with Shirley in Davis next year
2. I'd be living in Ithaca, and having to learn how to live in snow
3. I'd be all the way across the country
4. Potentially much more expensive than Davis (depending on financial aid package, of course, but just tuition is $27,000 a year at Davis vs $39,000 a year at Cornell x4 years)
5. I have to take another class, which I was technically supposed to take this semester, but maybe I can get an extension?
I don't know what to do. Cornell is kind of the dream school, but Davis is a more logical choice and I'd probably have just as much fun there.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
So proud of my sister it's crazy. She got into 8/10 schools she applied to, including Stanford and Harvard! It's a no at Yale and Princeton, but whatever. She's a rockstar! Sometimes I wish that I had figured things out at her age... or at least that I'd done my homework in high school so that I could've given myself a fighting chance haha. Ooooh well. Things worked out anyway :)
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
No listen, I woke up this morning and I realized that I've studied and taught the great literature all my life. And those stories are replete with characters that let opportunities slip by, but what I teach is more than literature, it's lessons in life. If I don't follow these tenets, I'm not the man I thought I was, the man I want to be.
Oh, you too, Max Medina. And not only do I love the sentiment behind the quotation, I wholeheartedly believe it's 100% true.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
Hot damn, if Aladdin were real, I'd be all over that.
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Got the email on Friday. And then I went to Palm Springs with friends! And bought cute clothes. And then ate tapas and drank sangria!
Friday, March 19, 2010
Shit, heart attack pending. PENDING, and there's no guaranteed relief. People have been hearing from Davis!
Fudge, I duno, supposedly it's a randomized order.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Hrm, being the tubby guts I am and eating the shit ton that I do, I am thinking that maybe I should start exercising.
Goal is -5 lbs.
Monday, March 8, 2010
Rejected from UPenn. Whatevs. They don't accept many out of staters, and when they do, they're all east coasters. I'm still doing pretty damn well, if I do say so myself. I mean, Tufts only accepts 40 people from out of state, Cornell accepts 36 students out of state, and CSU accepts 30. And they all get anywhere from 700-2000 applicants, depending on the institution. And Penn was my last choice anyway.
I'm so excited for vet school next year.
I'm so excited to live on my own, for like, the first time ever. Is that sad? At Scripps, most of us stayed in the dorm for all 4 years. Excited to have my own place too. I feel like a technicolor version of myself here. I mean, nice to live at home and not pay rent, have cooked meals, etc. Not nice to have the parents busting my ass about things, or not letting me go out if it's too late. What? Can't go out at 9:30 pm?? sad. Wow do I sound like a typical kid. I'm also BEYOND excited to LEARN about stuff. Although I don't foresee anatomy being my favorite subject. Shirley took me to the anatomy lab, and while it was cool, all of the dead animals in there kinda squicked me out. But it's so weird, because I like doing necropsies (animal autopsies, I suppose) and think that those are totally cool. So I wonder why the lab freaked me out so much. Maybe it's because they were all dried out and they smelled like formalin, and when I do a necropsy on an actual animal, they're just freshly dead. I think that's it.
Sorry, random musings. I'll stop boring you all. God, I need something in my life. A social life perhaps. I think that's actually what's killing me. I go to work, come home. I love work, and don't get me wrong, I like puttering around home a lot more than most people, but sometimes you want some human contact so you can go out and see a movie or something. Or shopping. So many friends are away and getting JDs or DVMS or MDs or have moved back to their home states! I need to go shopping. Another sad thing about my life right now: because I don't have a social life, I'm either in scrubs (work) or in pajamas and have not realized a dearth of clothing in my dresser.
Wah wah wah, here I am being boring again. Sorry.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Why hello stress, I've almost forgotten what you felt like.
I have no idea how I'm going to handle vet school next year... school and stress and zero sleep are now foreign concepts.
Monday, February 22, 2010
Storybook endings, fairy tales coming true.... deep down inside we wanna believe they still do...
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Oh man, I loved Cornell. LOVED it. LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED it.
And now I'll be really devastated if I don't get in :(
And even if I do, I duno if I'd be able to afford it :(
Monday, February 15, 2010
K, so is it just me, or does it seem really disrespectful to continue an Olympic sport even after someone has died on it? I mean, I would think that you should show some deference and postpone or something. Not just shorten the damn track.
Although, I guess I don't really know what it's like to wait an entire 4 years for a chance at glory... but it still seems wrong to me.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Navigate: (Previous 20 entries)